Tower Of London Poppies

The other day I found myself making my way over to the Tower of London to pay my respect to those who have fought to protect our country 

how could I miss the major art instillation 'Blood swept lands and seas of Red at the Tower of London' which was marking one hundred years since the first full day of the First World War 

Each poppy was individually hand made and created by Paul cummins along side stage designer Tom Pipper, they individually hand made 888,246 ceramic poppies that were to fill the Tower's famous moat over the summer. Each individual poppy represented a British Military Fatality during the war. 

The scale of the installation was intended to reflect the magnitude of such an important centenary creating a powerful visual commemoration which it did just that 

The original aim was to donate millions of pounds towards 6 charities, which they successfully did, selling all the individual poppies at £25 each 

I shall let the photo's tell the story as I feel each individual one conveys a beautiful story behind it













Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,